Director Of Product
£Competitive, plus benefits
We create, empower, innovate, inspire, push the boundaries and most important of all we practise what we preach.
Fusing fashionable shapes and statement prints with technical fabrics and design innovation, Sweaty Betty active wear is created to enhance style and performance. Whether you’re a yogi, runner or spin enthusiast, or simply love the Sports Luxe look – we have something for every style. Born in 1998 in London’s Notting Hill, Sweaty Betty has boutiques in the UK and USA including concessions in world-famous department stores Harrods, Bloomingdales and Selfridges. With a new digital flagship website, more international stores in the pipeline and a passionate, fitness-loving team at its helm, Sweaty Betty is growing exponentially. There has never been a more exciting time to join us.
Our Values: We bring out the best in each other. We push boundaries. We have a positive attitude. We love what we do.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
Take complete ownership of the Product Department; leading and inspiring the Buying, Merchandising, Design and Garment Technologist teams to meet the business’ objectives.
Understand the customer and deliver the most desirable activewear in the world to increase like for like sales, whilst increasing the gross margin through excellent planning, sourcing and stock management across the UK & USA.
Be a member of the Executive Board to establish strategy for future growth and profitability. You will work in close conjunction with all other departments in the company. Report directly into the Creative Director (Founder) and manage a team of approximately 25 people across 4 areas.
Responsibilities will include:
- Together with the Creative Director and CEO set the long term strategy for the product area, and create a plan for implementation.
- Work with senior managers in Buying, Design, Merchandising and Garment tech to form strategies for their individual areas based on the long term strategy.
- Set yearly objectives for the department in line with the business’ main objectives and ensure these objectives filter down to individual team members.
- Organise and lead seasonal Product Strategy Days to establish the key objectives and set the overall Product Strategy per season including range matrix, range drops and price architecture.
- Work closely with Design, Buying & Merchandising to develop & build 4 yearly collections consisting of stylish, high performance, innovative and premium products to meet the like for like sales growth target and customer needs.
- Based on seasonal supplier reviews form the sourcing strategy to achieve competitive cost prices, timely deliveries, a high standard of workmanship and flexibility to meet rapidly growing demand.
- Together with Head of Merchandising agree buying plans and OTB (including any overspend to budget) with the Finance Director.
- Have a thorough understanding of our customer and US & UK markets through store visits, customer/store manager/ambassador feedback, market research and through online channels.
- Conduct quarterly trade reviews with Directors, Buyers and Merchandisers.
- Manage the process and calendar for the Product Department to ensure stock availability at season launch is above 97%.
- Full commercial accountability, including P&L across all categories.
- Constantly reviewing business performance. Ensuring that financial targets are set and achieved.
- Monitor OTB planning and keeping strict to the guidelines for budget. Working with cross-functional teams to keep seasonal and annual plans, in budget and on time. Always considering the wider business objectives.
- Set pricing strategies for products, based on market and competitor positions in the UK & US.
- Oversee the Critical Path management and support the team in escalating any major production or delivery issues with factory owners/managers.
- Together with the Head of Merchandising manage stock levels in all channels to ensure optimum availability of stock whilst keeping stock levels low. This includes making a specific plan for each channel to accommodate the needs of different regions.
- Together with the Technical Manager take full ownership of all products living up to Sweaty Betty’s high standard in terms of workmanship and functionality, and ensure that all regulations are followed and all factories adhere to Sweaty Betty’s ethical code of conduct.
- Oversee the wholesale process and liaise with Regional Managers to ensure the proposed stock packages are suitable for the customer.
- Liaise with Lawyers on contracts with factories and agreements for collaborations.
- Protect Sweaty Betty’s intellectual property through management of suppliers, and oversee the print, slogan and name process to ensure none of Sweaty Betty’s designs are breaching any intellectual property rights.
- Together with Buyers and Senior Designers oversee the planning and building of the collections according to themes, category and price point.
- Manage and develop the Product Team to deliver business and personal growth including liaising with HR on required training and be a good role model.
- Manage recruitment within the team, ensuring all team members are a good cultural fit.
- Take ownership of the budgeting for the Department, liaising with other Department Heads on new resources and activities, and manage the day to day budget.
- Manage the Supply Base; visiting factories abroad and build strong relationships with suppliers to ensure the supply chain can support Sweaty Betty’s growth plan and continuously look for ways to reduce lead times and introduce more flexibility into the planning/trading.
- Organize an annual Supplier Conference to inspire and motivate suppliers
- Spot new trends and identify ways that Sweaty Betty can raise the fashion credibility and differentiate the product from competitors.
- Work closely with Marketing to create strong press stories.
- Undertake presentations of seasonal ranges to the wider company.
- Support the Directors with any ad hoc projects and deliver monthly reports to the Executive Board.
- Create and implement the short term and long term strategic vision for the U.S
- Develop strong relationship with the US President to help foster entrepreneurial thinking and commercial acumen across the U.S and UK
WHAT YOU'LL HAVE
- Established Director with Board Experience
- Ideally a background in women’s premium fashion
- Coming from a Buying, Product Development background
- Experience in own label development & production
- Ideally experience in multiproduct; clothing, accessories and footwear
- Experience in managing a big team
- Intuitive understanding of the consumer. Good aesthetic sense, innate sense of style, great levels of taste and an eye for trends
- Strong, proven experience working with an international brand, across cross functional teams in different locations
- The entrepreneurial flare, with a ‘can do’ attitude which will help contribute to the success of the brand
WHO YOU ARE
- Impressive team leader
- Approachable and friendly manner
- Good at building relationships with suppliers and team
- Process oriented, efficient and organised
- A strong communicator and negotiator
- Logical and analytical with commercial flair
- Aware of the bigger picture as well as detail conscious
- Thrive in a busy environment and good at multitasking
- A good team leader who is not afraid of getting stuck in
- An Ambassador of the SB brand and championing the SB lifestyle and values
Fulham Green, London
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this position, please email your CV & cover letter (telling us why you want to work for Sweaty Betty) to firstname.lastname@example.org