Running in the heat tips for Betties
1. Make sure you are well hydrated before you run, drinking between 1.5 and 2 litres per day at regular intervals throughout the day will do this. Your urine should be a light yellow colour by lunch time, any darker than this and it is a sign that you are dehydrated.
2. Use an electrolyte drink during running to ensure that you maintain the right salt water balance in your body. When you sweat you lose salty water, and often it is only replaced with plain water which can cause an imbalance. Something like gatorade will do the job, or for an all natural option, go for Vita Coconut Water.
3. Don't run on an empty stomach. Even if you are running first thing, half a banana or a small glass of juice will make sure you do not deplete your energy stores straight away.
4. Wear the right clothes, make sure your running gear is breatheable and able to soak up moisture as you need to be ready to sweat in the heat. A cap is highly recommended just to prevent the sun beating down on your head.
5. Wear sunscreen! This is a must, you don't want to add sunburn to weary legs post-run.
6. If for any reason you feel light headed, dizzy or faint, stop immediately, sit down and ask for assistance if it is safe to do so.