Exercises for a Brazilian Bum
Harriet Chettleburgh, Windsor
Lunges and squats are the secrets to a pert bum, so see one of each below.
Sometimes called the glute activation lunge. The gluteal muscles include the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus. The gluteus minimus muscles also are known as the hip abductors because they are used to pull the leg toward your body. You will find these muscles more on the side of your buttocks and the curtsy lunge targets these abductor muscles,
1. Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart and your hands on your hips for stability.
2. Use your left leg to take a large step back and across to the right.
3. Squat so your right thigh is parallel with the ground.
4. Push off with your left leg to straighten your legs and return to your starting position.
5. For an added challenge hold hand weights in each hand.
6. Do 2-3 sets of 10 lunges to each side.
Fantastic for toning your glutes (and your quads too)!
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
2. Start by doing a regular squat, then engage your core and jump up explosively.
3. When you land, lower your body back into the squat position to complete one rep. Land as quietly as possible, which requires control.
4. Do two to three sets of 10 reps.
Find out more about Harriet at TheRightFit.co.uk
Charlie wears the Makarasana Yoga Unitard
Charlie Morgan and Chip, Battersea
Come into all fours. Hands underneath the shoulder and knees underneath the hips. Inhale raise one leg up, exhale bring the knee into the nose. Repeat 10 times and then change legs.
Find out more about Charlie at CharlieMorganYoga.com
Lanae wears the Amrita Yoga Leggings and Upbeat Padded Sports Bra
Lanae Rhodes, Bloomingdales New York
I call this the donkey lunge. Start with left leg forward bent, and right toes extend down long behind. Keep left leg stabile as right knee bends in and out at a quicker pace. The stability of that left leg gets a great burn for the bum, and the faster pace allows the heart rate to rise.
Find out more about Lanae at SLTNYC.com
Kim wears the Brahma Padded Yoga Bra and Kinetic 7/8 Leggings
Kim Ingleby, Bristol
A bridge will always get your bum in shape. To try this exercise make sure your hips are balanced as your raise up and down, with your knees in line with your hips, your feet pointing straight forwards. As you do this focus on lifting from your buttocks. Keep your buttock muscles and lower core switched on as your lower down. To begin with this exercise is most effective performed slowly. Make sure your knees don’t collapse in or out, and you should feel your body working but no pain in the knees or lower back. If you find your knees fall out to the side, roll a towel up and grip it between your legs as you raise and lower – this will activate your inner thigh muscles too.
For an advanced version lift one leg up and extend it forward and back. Aiming to keep the hips as level as you can, and not allowing the back to drop.
Find out more about Kim at EnergisedPerformance.com
Hollie wears the Zero Gravity Tights
Hollie Grant, Global Ambassador
Start kneeling with a dumbbell (4-6kg) tucked widthways behind your right knee. Your hamstrings will work to keep hold of it. Come down onto your forearms with your hands gently clasped. Breathe in to prepare and with your core engaged start to lift the right foot up towards the ceiling on your exhale using your glute. Don't allow your lower back to arch - if you have tight hip flexors this may well happen - so only lift the knee as high as you can maintain that neutral pelvis. Inhale to stay and exhale to slowly lower the knee back to the floor. Complete 12 reps each side with a little hold and pulse on the last rep.
Find more about Hollie at PilatesPT.co.uk
Melody wears the Urdhva Leggings.
Melody Davi, Madison Avenue New York
This Single Leg Deadlift works the hamstrings and glutes.
1. Hold a dumbbell/kettlebell in one hand, hanging to the side. Stand on one leg, on the opposite side that you hold the kettlebell.
2. Keeping that knee slightly bent, perform a stiff-legged deadlift by bending at the hip, extending your free leg behind you for balance. Continue lowering the weight until you are parallel to the ground (create a "T" shape with your body), and then return to the upright position. Repeat for 12 repetitions each leg, 3 x through.
Find out more about Melody at MelodyDavi.com
Dominika wears the Urdhva Leggings.
Dominika Brooks, Richmond
1. Tie a resistance band just above your knees and then lie on your side on the floor with your legs together, knees bent and with your head, shoulders, bottom and heels touching the floor.
2. Lift your heels till they are at knee height, then open your top knee towards the sky to full rotation while keeping the heels connected. Repeat this for one minute, three times over with a thirty second break.
Find out more about Dominika at Dominika Brooks Fitness
Julie wears the Urdhva Leggings and Anusara Vest
Julie Diamond, Montana Avenue LA
All forms of squats are effective for developing your glutes but kettlebell goblet squats force your butt to work harder than in more traditional squatting exercises. Stand with your feet hip-width apart and hold your kettlebell in both hands. Raise the kettebell to chest height and hold it by cradling the base of the kettlebell. Keep your elbows below your hands and your chest lifted. Push your hips back, bend your knees and squat down until your thighs are approximately parallel to the floor. Drive down through your heels and stand back up, making sure your torso is fully erect. Continue for the desired number of repetitions.
Find more about Julie at JulieDiamondFitness.com
Show off your pert Brazilian bum in Sweaty Betty's range of shorts, swimwear and new styles. Or if all else fails try a pair of bum-sculpting superheroes.